So I’ve been dancing a bit. I told you I would, remember? And honestly, when do I ever lie to you? So yes, the dancing. Now look, I’m not saying I’m ever going to be any good at this thing, but it’s just so…addictive. No, seriously, it’s completely buzz inducingly addictive.
That’s not a word.
I don’t care.
I’m dancing anyway. Here’s why..
1. I’m never going to be any good. Now look, I say this as a positive. I am very focussed on getting better at things in general and it’s really nice to do something that really is just for the journey, not for the result. I know! That’s proper hippy talk. I don’t care, I’m dancing anyway.
2. Because being in a dance class makes me think of this (And I mean actually think of it because I’m old enough to remember it the first time.) How brilliant is Debbie Allen? I want to be her. I want a big stick and I want to ask for payment in sweat with no sense of irony. I know really, that I’m much more like Lori Singer at the end there… “What does that mean?” but hey, I’m dancing anyway.
3. Because it makes me cry OK, this is a little embarrassing. I do get quite frustrated at my own crapness sometimes and I have to go away and (privately, come on) have a little cry. Now yes, you’re right, that may not seem such a positive but I reckon it means that I care and that is a good thing, yes?
4. Because it makes you really really strong Aha! Good evening vanity, I was wondering when you were going to join us. Yes, it gives you abs of steel (is there quite a soft sort of steel? because that might be the variety I have.) Well, OK, nearly abs of steel. Well it allows you to eat pain au chocolate without worry and sort of stretches you out so you look better and stronger.
5. Because my teachers are amazing and every time I watch them move I think yes, try again, even though I’ll never be able to do it like that (see above) it’s just beautiful and inspiring to watch people do what they do best.
So I’m off to sweat today, I have a story that won’t come straight in my mind and it may fall into place while I concentrate (really hard) on something else. I just have to remember not to look in the mirror too much because then I see Intense Concentration Face which truly, ain’t pretty. Black Swan this is not.
But you know what? I’m dancing anyway.